Saturday, January 12, 2008

Weekly Miscellany

Some notes on the week:

In an attempt to start weening myself off of convenience foods, I made the above pizza from scratch using recipes from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (wonderful cookbook). It was just delicious! And really very easy.

Also dusted off the ice cream maker and made some lovely, rich, creamy, yummy vanilla ice cream (also using Bittman's recipe). Enjoyed the last of it last night over warm saut├ęd apples (one of those luscious Jonagolds I mentioned in the last post) in butter and brown sugar. Mmmmmmm. This coming week I think I'll make chocolate ice cream.

This morning I watched the premier episode of British chef Jamie Oliver's new show Jamie at Home on the Food Network. It's good to see a show about fresh, local ingredients on such a huge network. Maybe it's a sign that it's catching on.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Mmmm, I love homemade pizza, but can leave all others alone, save one restaurant in town.

Have you seen or heard about the slow food movement?