Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekly Miscellany

I'm reading Slow Food Nation, which is by one of the founders of the Slow Food Movement. I'm about halfway through. Very informative, though not quite as easy to read as Kingsolver's book. Perhaps because it's translated from Italian. I first heard about the Slow Food Movement when I read In Praise of Slowness last year. It's a great book in which the author investigates all the ways we've gotten rid of slow pleasures in the detrimental pursuit of speed and efficiency, not only in the arena of food, but in all aspects of our lives. I recommend it. His description of a dinner he had in Italy will have you drooling for a slower pace. (I've put an Amazon widget in the sidebar and I'll try to put all the books that I mention in my posts there.)

Poked around on the internet a bit and found the Organic Consumers Association. So much great information on this site! Products, companies, information, links, news items and action alerts about health, environment, organics, etc. It's going to take a while to explore the whole thing.

Pondering how I can rearrange the apartment to create a bigger pantry space. I can't do much about the size of my freezer, but I might be able to move some stuff around in my closets. Just thinking ahead to the possibility of maybe canning some of the coming harvest. Hard to believe there will be lovely summer vegies and fruits again someday when the current weather refuses to get above freezing, but it's fun to think about.

And one more observation. You know how they say not to go grocery shopping when you're hungry? Well, I'd like to add something to that. Don't go when you're tired, especially if you want to make good choices. During our last shopping trip, I was just exhausted for some reason, and I gave in to buying some things that I know don't conform to how I'm trying to change my food habits, but I was just too tired to think about it.

1 comment:

girl work studios said...

I read In Praise of Slowness last year! All of these ideas go hand in hand don't they? I find one idea so often leads to others - purchasing local, becoming more environmentally conscious, simplicity and community.

I wanted to suggest a few other good books as well, "Grub" by Anna Lappe and Bryant Terry and "Plenty:One man, one woman and a Robust Year of eating Locally" by Alisa Smith and JB Mackinnon. They first started out writing about their local eating experiences on the online news site The Tyee. It's pretty interesting http://thetyee.ca/Life/2005/06/28/HundredMileDiet/.

I am also waiting for those elusive buds to appear and for things to start growing again. Brrr, it's cold here.