Friday, April 25, 2008

Local Asparagus!

Roasted asparagus (front) and rhubarb compote (back) which we used on both the chicken we had for dinner, and the homemade vanilla ice cream we had for dessert. The rhubarb was from a friend's garden.

In "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", Barbara Kingsolver's family decided to start their year of eating locally when the first asparagus appeared as the herald of Spring. By that accounting, Spring is finally here! Bought my first bunch of Washington grown asparagus earlier this week. Above you can see it fresh from roasting in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, my favorite way to eat asparagus. Yum! I managed to resist the temptation of the California asparagus that hit the stores weeks ago, and am glad I did. It was well worth the wait.

I picked up two more bunches at the Yakima Fruit Market this morning. One bunch will be cooked exactly as above, but I think I might use the other bunch to make mushroom and asparagus pizza tonight!

My cat Marlowe is intrigued by this new addition to the patio.

While at Yakima Fruit Market (alternately known by locals as "The Yak"), I also picked up this lovely cherry tomato plant, which started its life Snohomish County. I wanted to see if I could grow something on our patio, and whenever I told anyone that I was frustrated because it doesn't get as much sun as most edible plants seem to like, their response was always "try cherry tomatoes." So, there they are. Wish me luck. I plan to get some herbs sometime soon too.

(I have to confess that even though I did resist the temptation of California asparagus, I wasn't able to block out the siren call of California strawberries. I love berries so much! They had to travel over 1200 miles to get here! I also got a couple of avocados, that probably traveled even further. Just needed to remind myself of that.)

2 comments:

Wade Rockett said...

The asparagus was truly worth the wait.

While I'm thinking of it, here's the link to the Seattle food blog I was telling you about: True Foods.

tlc illustration said...

Angela - I should *finally* be done with this never-ending project in the next few days (Monday at the latest, I hope), and the first thing I intend to do is go out and tackle my gardens. I know I have a number of baby herbs coming up that I'd be happy to share, and are perfect for your deck. If you're still interested, let me know when you'd like to try getting together.

Tara