Saturday, May 17, 2008

...and speaking of flowers...


Eating flowers is one of my culinary delights. I try to grow pretty much every variety that I know you can eat (90% of what grows in my yard is edible or medicinal). With our current heat wave - the news dubbing it 'from March to August in less than a day' - flowers seem cooling and refreshing.
*
Last night's dinner consisted of a fruit-filled green salad with a sweet balsamic dressing, and herbed spaghetti squash (above) garnished liberally with just-picked borage, thyme and rosemary blossoms.
*
Yum!

3 comments:

Hayden said...

oh YUMM! looks gorgeously delicious.

Ellen said...

That's beautiful food. I'm a terrible gardener but would love to get back to giving a food garden a try.

I'm curious, when you choose what to grow, do you plant things that ripen or are ready throughout different seasons, so there is something fresh to eat throughout most of the year? (I hope that made sense).

tlc illustration said...

Hi Ellen,

Yes, the more I experiment with planting, the more I try to consciously spread out the harvest. Otherwise, everything comes on in just a couple of months - and you are killing yourself trying to deal with it all.

I have limited space and time, so I am leaning more and more where possible to 'ever bearing' varieties of things like strawberries and raspberries - smaller harvests, but spread out through the season rather than only for 3 weeks in June. And I try to stagger plant things like greens, carrots, radishes, broccoli...

Maybe I should think this through a bit more and post on it...