Friday, May 23, 2008

Chicken update -

A few weeks ago, they looked like this:

Now they are looking like gawky adolescents -

This is the blue-lace Wyandotte on the far left of the above picture (with a suspiciously large comb for a supposedly sexed pullet.... hmmm.....)

Here's the auracana from the center (the flat heads always feel a bit reminiscent of buzzards. Or dinosaurs. Or something not so chickenish...)

And this is also (supposedly) a blue-lace Wyandotte - although at the moment, I'm hard pressed to believe it. They are still being fostered with some other chicks at my POBL friend's coop - where they have all the needed amenities until they are large enough to move to my backyard (where the coop and run are a still a work-in-progress).


This punk-mohawked, silver-laced Polish is not one of mine - but I thought s/he was hilarious -especially at this stage before her head feathers grow fully in...

By sometime next month, they will be large enough to live with me, and well on their way to their mature, adult plumage...

If you want to see a gorgeous, ridiculous, mind-blowing, photographic expose on the wonders of this decorative fowl, check out "Extraordinary Chickens", by Stephen Green-Armytage.

4 comments:

dinahmow said...

Not that it matters,but...among my first chooks were a gold-laced and a silver-laced Wyandoote.I bought then from a boy(12 y.o.) who was "into" shows and he said that beacause he couldn't guarantee the sire he wouldn't show them. Sure enough, the silver laced looked like your second blue-laced. But so pretty!

tlc illustration said...

I love Wyandottes. I almost went to a second feed store for a gold-laced chick, but thought that was probably more than I needed. I may be sorry if the top blue one is really a rooster though...

Hayden said...

such fun to see them at this in-between, gawky stage! Most photos show chick and adult, so this is fresh.

Annie said...

Love this post. If it has feathers, I lover it. The punky Polish is a hoot (pun intended)