Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Local Food of the Month Dinner



Lately it seems that when I get together with my friends, I often cannot contain my enthusiasm for local and real food. Fortunately, some of my friends have found my unchecked ramblings interesting enough to catch their interest as well, and this past Saturday evening a few of us gathered for what we hope will be the first of many local foods of the month dinners. We had a really great night.

Being early May in western Washington, the themes for the evening were rhubarb and asparagus, which are abundant right now. And we tried to keep all the ingredients as local as possible too. For the most part we did pretty well.

It was all very yummy, but my favorites of the evening were the starters of roasted rhubarb & honey and goat cheese/pear compote and goat cheese on toasted whole grain bread, and the asparagus, baby greens and pear salad pictured above. My contribution to the evening was a rhubarb & red lentil dal, and a rhubarb & apple crisp for dessert. I also brought a bottle of Cave B Sauvignon Blanc which went particularly well with the asparagus dishes. Another friend brought a bottle from Mt. Vernon Winery. We are definitely not lacking for good local wine.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

That all looks amazing and what a great idea! I think I'll try and follow your example. There's also a link on www.eatgrub.org for how-to throw a 'grub' party, same idea, local, sustainable food. It's really catching on, it's so encouraging.

tlc illustration said...

That sounds so totally yummy! I'm going to have to get some rhubarb recipes from you.