Saturday, June 28, 2008

Chickens - at home!

Now that I'm home for a bit, I was finally able to go retrieve my chickens from their fostering place a couple of nights ago (thanks again Suzy!!!)


These chicks had never been in a coop before - so it has necessitated physically putting them in and locking the door at night for a few nights until they get used to it. Here they are rather dubiously examining their new abode.


Also, never really having been in a 'yard' before, they were quite cautious about leaving the coop for the first time and coming out to explore (they've totally gotten over that already).


The yard has branches and stumps to roost on. Lots of dirt to scratch in (I'm beginning to wonder if they're going to dig holes big enough to go under the enclosure fencing), their food, water, and 'treats' from the garden and the kitchen.


My other animals are absolutely entranced. Jack, the black lab, keeps running around the coop - tail waving and barking his 'playplayplay' bark. Mia, on the other hand, can hardly keep from stealth-attack mode (undeterred as she is by the chicken wire separating them. I think she's going to have chicken wire shaped bruises on her head if she keeps this up).


All in all, they seem happy and content with their lot. We're working on naming them now that we can watch their personalities. They're young enough (2 months old) that they still 'peep' instead of cluck, and they don't have all of their adult plumage yet, so there is more growing to do.



I suspect Mia thinks they should be called McNugget. :-)

4 comments:

andrea said...

I was so engrossed in this post that when my cell phone rang (the ring is a rooster call) it seemed entirely normal and it took a couple for me to clue in! They'te lovely chooks. Looking forward to watching them grow.

dinahmow said...

Yes, Tara, lovely "chooks" and I'd guess the pale one is Araucana.
Look, I hate to be a Negative Nellie, but I'm a bit concerned that something could dig under the wire. I don't know how secure your property is from marauding dogs/coyotes;perhaps you have stronger boundary fencing?
Anyway, they are looking good and I'm pleased that they and you are happy. And I LOVE their doorway!

Hayden said...

Wonderful, and fun pics. Must be great having them home - and better than TV for Mia.

tlc illustration said...

They are fun.

dinahmow - My yard is fenced, so I don't tend to have stray dogs or coyotes. I am a bit concerned about the occasional racoon, but am working on remedying...